Friday, April 6, 2018

SONG OF BLOOD AND STONE by L. Penelope



Song of Blood & Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles #1)

The cover is gorgeous and I guess I'm shallow because that's why I jumped at the chance to review this book.  The blurb was compelling too. But, yeah, that cover. As far as the story goes, there were things I loved, and things I was less crazy about. 
I loved Jasminda's character. And I loved Jack's character, but I wasn't so excited about their POVs. Which probably doesn't make sense, but... but... but... Okay, so most of this story is told in close 3rd person from Jasminda and Jack's POVs, but I felt like I was still too far away from the narrative. There's another POV here (no spoilers) told in 1st person, and those were my favorite parts of this book. Personally, I think the entire story could have been told better in 1st person. But that's just one opinion. 
The pacing had some issues too. The beginning was action-packed and then the story slowed down. A lot. It seemed like the "action" in the middle of the book was just for the sake of something happening as it didn't really move the plot forward. And Jasminda is the "chosen one." She's the only person who can do all these important things, and, sure, that's a common trope and I'm usually on-board with it, but then it was never explained. 
The action picked up a lot toward the end, which I liked, but the scenes didn't feel very developed to me. Instead of being immersed in the story, I felt like I was being told what happened. 
My favorite parts of this book were the chapter openings, the parts told in 1st person, and the developing romance. I LOVED how the relationship was allowed to build slowly. No insta-love. Yay. I really liked the steamier scenes too.  Not sure if this is a stand-alone, but I'd read more to see where this story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment