Friday, March 16, 2018

WINTERSONG by S. Jae-Jones



Wintersong (Wintersong #1)

All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.

But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.

Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world..
What I thought:

Wow. This story was haunting and beautifully written. I loved the characters and the mystery. I did sometimes get bogged down in the descriptions and felt the pacing could have been quicker, especially toward the middle of the book, but, wow, I fell in love with the ideas and the music, swept along by Liesl's mania to create, create, create. 

I wanted more of the underground, more details to help me keep my footing when things were happening so fast. There was an important scene where I wasn't sure what had happened afterward. Like, did that just happen? Or didn't it? What? So, yeah, that was frustrating. The language seemed to get in the way of the action, where saying it prettily was more important than laying the scene out for the reader to enjoy. But overall I thoroughly enjoyed this and I can definitely recommend it.

I'm reading the 2nd book now. :D 
Rating: **** (4 stars)
_______________________________________________________
RATING SCALE: 
 5* = OMFG loved it. Will read it again. Touch my book and I will cut you. 
 4* = Really good. Highly recommend. Miiiight reread. Maybe. Don't touch my book. 
 3* = Good. I liked it. Go ahead and touch it. 
 2* = Not for me, finished but struggled. Didn't connect. Here, have a book.
 1* = DNF. Couldn't do it.
________________________________________________________
Click on the cover to link to Goodreads and leave your book recs in my comments. Oh, yeah, and find me on twitter: @ChellyPike

No comments:

Post a Comment