Tuesday, July 26, 2016

THE CASQUETTE GIRLS by Alys Arden

The Casquette Girls (The Casquette Girls #1)

My Review
Let me preface this by saying that I'm very hesitant to read anything set in New Orleans. Very hesitant. I've been burned before. People who write New Orleans who've never lived here tend to get sooooo much wrong that it's painful to read. 
Alys Arden is not one of those writers. She gets everything right. 
I found THE CASQUETTE GIRLS by accident. B&N had their book fair and some of their events were sort of advertised and some weren't mentioned online at all. I got there early for an advertised event (which never ever happens) and Alys Arden was doing a talk/book signing. Kismet. Fate. I'd say karma, but that'd take me in the wrong direction. Ahem.
New Orleans is beautifully done. Post-storm New Orleans at that. I could've read this for the setting alone, but, sigh, the characters... The first quarter, maybe less, of the story has a lot of character development and setting, with snippets of intrigue and a nice slow-build on the fantasy elements. We get to know Adele as she gets adjusted to post-storm living. Things start a little slowly, but when they pick up, OMG, they pick up. I lost sleep. Plenty of sleep. And I don't regret it.
This story feels so true to New Orleans, and the characters are so alive that I found myself comparing them to actual people. Even secondary characters. They are so lifelike it feels like she plucked the off the sidewalk and stuffed them between the pages. I love how she weaves history with fiction to create such a rich, nuanced story. I am DYING for the next book in this series, THE ROMEO CATCHERS, and highly recommend this book, especially to those who love YA, fantasy, and New Orleans. 
Find links to buy and more reviews on Goodreads.

Follow my blog for more reviews and let me know what you think. What are you reading? What's your most anticipated book of 2016? 2017? Give me a book recommendation. Find me on twitter @chellypike. 


Happy Reading,
Chelly








No comments:

Post a Comment