Friday, January 2, 2015

THE DEVIL'S INTERN by Donna Hosie



The Devil's Intern (The Devil's #1)

"How did you die?"

It's the most popular question in Hell, and Mitchell Johnson has been answering it ever since he was hit by a bus at age seventeen and inexplicably ended up in the Underworld. Now Mitchell is The Devil's intern in Hell's accounting office. Lately, he's noticed a disturbing trend: the volume of new arrivals is straining Hell's limited resources. Then Mitchell overhears his boss discussing plans to limit newcomers with a legendary time travel mechanism. With a device like that, Mitchell realizes, he could change history and prevent his own death. 

Mitchell's plot goes awry when his three closest friends—Alfarin, the Viking prince; Elinor, from 17th-century London; and Melissa, from 1960s San Francisco—insert themselves into his plans. It soon becomes clear that the fates of all four are entwined in dangerous and unpredictable ways. With unforgettable characters and a thrilling premise, this original novel is by turns funny, poignant, and thought-provoking.

What I thought:

First let me say that this book wasn't even on my radar until my Twitter feed was peppered with tweets when it was a free book on Amazon. I certainly don't mind getting a free book, but I tend to be hyper critical of them. Call me skeptical, but I always read a few pages before I add a freebie to my library.

Here, I read more than a few pages. A then a few more.

Present tense usually throws me off. After a while, it starts to feel tedious, but the execution here is so well done that I stopped noticing it. Yay. The premise drew me in from the start and the story kept me glued to the page. The characters are fully fleshed and perfectly flawed, so much so that they crawl off the page and remind you to pick up your reader and sprint to the end. I am easily distracted and tend to read multiple books at once, jumping from one to the other when I lose interest. That didn't happen here. I didn't want this book to end, but I loved the ending.

I rate THE DEVIL'S INTERN 5 stars!

I think this book is considered YA, but I don't read a lot of YA and I loved it, so I'd recommend it to lovers of YA and Adult books. Donna Hosier is going on my list of must-read authors.

BUY it at   Amazon  or Barnes & Noble

Or check it out on Goodreads

So what should I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment